Staff Software Engineer - Platforms
This is Adyen
Adyen provides payments, data, and financial products in a single solution for customers like Meta, Uber, H&M, and Microsoft - making us the financial technology platform of choice. At Adyen, everything we do is engineered for ambition.
For our teams, we create an environment with opportunities for our people to succeed, backed by the culture and support to ensure they are enabled to truly own their careers. We are motivated individuals who tackle unique technical challenges at scale and solve them as a team. Together, we deliver innovative and ethical solutions that help businesses achieve their ambitions faster.
Next to our payments offering Adyen is also building an entire suite of embedded financial services for platforms such as marketplaces, SaaS platforms, on-demand platforms or crowdfunding platforms. Our Chicago engineering hub is focusing on that!
We give platforms the ability to manage their global payments ecosystem in one place through API integrations or by using our hosted onboarding solution. They can run onboarding, verification and compliance processes for various markets, process payments and trigger faster payouts and bank transfers in all preferred currencies.
We are looking for Staff Software Engineers who have high availability, resilience, and security in mind while creating state-of-the-art solutions to join us on this journey.
What you’ll do
- Lead complex technical projects from requirements analysis through design, implementation, testing and launch into production
- Be hands on and contribute to the implementation, but at the same time offer technical guidance and mentoring to other engineers
- Identify and improve parts of the platform to make it more robust and scalable
- Bring your own point of view on best engineering practices
- Your code will be used at scale and you are expected to think in that mindset when building features.
- We launch fast and iterate often. Concretely, this means that within your first few weeks, you will bring live functionalities that impact many merchants and shoppers.
- Collaborate across teams and time zones to get projects over the finish line
Who you are
- Familiar with complex large scale distributed systems
- You are flexible, a team player, someone with an eye for detail.
- Experienced in leading technical projects in a fast paced environment
- Currently working at Staff Engineer or similar level
- You have great communication skills and the ability to articulate complex technical concepts in front of different stakeholders
- Required technical qualifications:
- Demonstrated knowledge of building Java based web services (RESTful, SOAP)
- Experienced in designing performant database models in PostgreSQL or other relational databases
- Knowledgeable of various software architecture paradigms such as event-driven or message queueing systems
- Open to some domestic and international travel
Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion commitments
Our unique approach is a product of our diverse perspectives. This diversity of backgrounds and cultures is essential in helping us maintain our momentum. Our business and technical challenges are unique, and we need as many different voices as possible to join us in solving them - voices like yours. No matter who you are or where you’re from, we welcome you to be your true self at Adyen.
Studies show that women and members of underrepresented communities apply for jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. Does this sound like you? If so, Adyen encourages you to reconsider and apply. We look forward to your application!
Ensuring a smooth and enjoyable candidate experience is critical for us. We aim to get back to you regarding your application within 5 business days. Our interview process tends to take about 4 weeks to complete, but may fluctuate depending on the role. Learn more about our hiring process here. Don’t be afraid to let us know if you need more flexibility.
Adyen is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This role is based out of our Chicago office. We have a hybrid workplace and value in-person collaboration; we do not offer remote-only roles.