This is Adyen
Adyen provides payments, data, and financial products in a single solution for customers like Meta, Uber, H&M, and Microsoft - making us the financial technology platform of choice. At Adyen, everything we do is engineered for ambition.
For our teams, we create an environment with opportunities for our people to succeed, backed by the culture and support to ensure they are enabled to truly own their careers. We are motivated individuals who tackle unique technical challenges at scale and solve them as a team. Together, we deliver innovative and ethical solutions that help businesses achieve their ambitions faster.
Since building our platform from scratch, our engineers have been continuously reshaping the payments and financial services landscape. Due to our rapid growth, we design everything with scalability in mind. We solve real problems for our merchants, creating new functionalities and building impactful solutions to help them grow.
As an engineer you will be responsible for the full development cycle from designing your software to testing and ensuring everything works as expected after deployment in a weekly release. You will work with one of the biggest PostgreSQL databases out there, while writing your own queries and ensuring they fit within our low latency API landscape.
To maintain our competitive edge as we scale, we organize our work around goal-oriented groups, called streams. Streams are co-led by developers, and also include product and commercial specialists. This setup means you’re able to provide input on how our products and services are built, and also receive immediate feedback on the business impact of your work.
What you’ll do
- We launch fast and iterate often. Concretely, this means that within your first few weeks, you will bring code live that impacts many merchants and shoppers.
- You will be fully responsible for projects from initial design to bringing the new functionality live.
- Your code will be used at scale and you have to think in that mindset when building features.
- Identify and improve parts of the platform to make it more robust and scalable.
- Collaborate across teams and time zones to make things happen, review code and be open to feedback.
Who you are
- Familiar with complex distributed systems
- You are flexible, a team player, someone with an eye for detail.
- Able to take ownership and lead a project.
- You have great communication skills and the ability to articulate complex, technical concepts
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Demonstrated knowledge of Java, Web Services (RESTful, SOAP)
- Experienced in creating performant SQL queries and table structures in PostgreSQL or other relational databases
- Open to some domestic and international travel
Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion commitments
Our unique approach is a product of our diverse perspectives. This diversity of backgrounds and cultures is essential in helping us maintain our momentum. Our business and technical challenges are unique, and we need as many different voices as possible to join us in solving them - voices like yours. No matter who you are or where you’re from, we welcome you to be your true self at Adyen.
Studies show that women and members of underrepresented communities apply for jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. Does this sound like you? If so, Adyen encourages you to reconsider and apply. We look forward to your application!
Ensuring a smooth and enjoyable candidate experience is critical for us. We aim to get back to you regarding your application within 5 business days. Our interview process tends to take about 4 weeks to complete, but may fluctuate depending on the role. Learn more about our hiring process here. Don’t be afraid to let us know if you need more flexibility.
Adyen is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This role is based out of our Chicago office. We have a hybrid workplace and value in-person collaboration; we do not offer remote-only roles.