Principal Application Engineer - SRE
About This Role
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.
As a Principal Application Reliability Engineer, you’ll tap into your passion for finding and fixing inefficiencies to solve our reliability and performance issues. In our Agile environment, you’ll focus on availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change and problem management, monitoring, emergency response and capacity planning of our services. Your projects will deliver enhanced infrastructure, development, and deployment automation at Discover. Actively manages and escalates risk and customer-impacting issues within the day-to-day role to management.
- Creates solutions addressing high impact technology and business priorities
- Competent in multiple contexts, including programming languages, security, automation, testing, and business domains and is the go-to person for many people (inside and outside of their team)
- Participates in strategic technology decisions and learns how these decisions impact Discover as a whole
- Proactively identifies and mitigates issues based on intuition and experience in multiple domains
- Coaches' technology communities at Discover
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelors – Computer Science or related
- 6+ Years -- Information Technology, (Software) Engineering, or related
- Internal applicants only: technical proficiency rating of proficient on the Dreyfus engineering scale
Bonus Points If You Have:
- Experience with SRE design to address reliability and resiliency with availability of 5-9s
- Knowledge and understanding of emerging trends in the SRE field
- High level of familiarity with the Linux command line and scripting
- Comfortable with production environments, firewalls and networking
- Studied architectural patterns at scale, including thoughtfully designed APIs, repeatable delivery pipelines, and efficient computer engineering principles
- Deep knowledge and understanding of emerging trends in the SRE field
- Working experience in deploying, observing, monitoring and altering in K8s with OLTP
- Knowledge of the automation tools such as Ansible, Terraform, or Chef
- Knowledge of working in public cloud (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Working knowledge of messaging services like RabbitMQ, SQS, Kafka
- Working experience in caching systems like Redis
- Working experience with logging and monitoring systems (Splunk, Datadog, New Relic, AppDynamics, Instana, CatchPoint) with a mindset towards predictive analysis
- Working experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery models including Blue/Green and Canary release models is a plus
External applicants will be required to perform a technical interview.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
All Discover employees place our customers at the very center of our work. To deliver on our promises to our customers, each of us contribute every day to a culture that values compliance and risk management.
Discover is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Discover is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or other legally protected status. (Know Your Rights)