Technical Designer - Workplace - Senior
Our global team is reimagining the future of cities as unprecedented challenges drive us towards a critical — yet hopeful — time of transformation. Our purpose, to Create a Better World Through the Power of Design, comes to life across our 28 practice areas, client relationships, global network of leaders, and diversity of talent.
You will be joining a workplace studio in the Chicago office focused on commercial interior projects for our clients in Consumer Goods, Technology and Professional Services Industries.
Join us in creating a new way to maintain and create new client relationships. Let’s deliver stunning projects.
As a Gensler Senior Technical Designer/Project Architect, it’s your job to lead a team of architects and designers to deliver unparalleled projects with a core focus on workplace. Leverage your industry experience and technical acumen to drive client projects from concept through build.
What You Will Do
- Partner with project team to manage client and project coordination, including full documentation coordination with structural, MEP, lighting, AV, landscape and civil consultants
- Support communication between project team, clients, vendors, contractors, consultants, and building and permitting officials
- Provide technical guidance and innovative solutions to resolve complex technical and design challenges
- Develop project manual and specifications
- Conduct and document site visits, process submittals, substitution requests, and RFI’s during construction
- Create and communicate clear and attainable project objectives and project requirements
- Manage project scheduling, budgets, and set-up with sub-contractors, vendors and consultants
- Track financial performance of project in collaboration with project manager
- Prepare project proposals, negotiate contracts and fees, coordinate bidding process
- Ensure projects conform to contract
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Architecture
- 8 + years of project experience in an architectural practice
- Licensed architect, or candidates that are on the path to licensure are preferred
- Experience with Revit required, additional experience with Rhino, Grasshopper, AutoCAD, Bluebeam Revu, SketchUp, 3dMax, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator), and MS Office, a plus
- Flexibility to focus on concurrent projects in various stages of development.
- Ability to work relatively independently
- Working knowledge of building codes, standards, building construction, and building structures
- LEED accreditation preferred
Life at Gensler
At Gensler, we are as committed to enjoying life as we are to delivering best-in-class design. From curated art exhibits to internal design competitions and hackathons, to “Well-being Week,” our offices reflect our teams’ diverse interests.
We encourage our employees to lead a healthy and balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, vision, paid holidays and paid time off. We also offer profit sharing, and twice annual bonus opportunities.
As part of the firm’s commitment to licensure and professional development, Gensler offers reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees. In addition, we reimburse tuition for certain eligible programs or classes. We view our professional development programs as strategic investments in our future.