Student Internship - Brand Design - Summer 2024 - Chicago
At Gensler, we design for people. We leverage our global perspective and local presence to innovate at every scale. We’re not just designers. We’re tinkerers, craftspeople, visionaries, innovators and thought leaders. Fueled by passion and entrepreneurial spirit, our people bring new ideas to solve challenging problems. Whether you’re into sketching new ideas, hacking a building, or growing client relationships in global markets, there’s something here for everyone.
Our depth of expertise spans disciplines — from workplace and mixed use to education, hospitality, cultural institutions, digital tech, and more. Whether we’re dreaming into a future learning environment, planning a new urban district or designing a super tall building, we strive to make the everyday places people occupy more inspiring, more resilient and more impactful.
To learn more about our internship programs, please visit gensler.com/internships.
As a Summer Brand Design Intern in Gensler’s Chicago office, you will join our creative studio environment for a full-time, paid internship opportunity.
This is a full-time program running from June 4 through mid-August 2024. You must be available for the entire duration of the program.
What You Will Do
You will use your design expertise to contribute to a wide variety of project types, including environmental, print, digital, and brand development. You will be working under the mentorship of lead designers and will gain tremendous experience and insight into the project processes.
- Participate in multiple types of project phases, including conceptual designs, presentations, schematic design, design development, construction documents and production.
- Work closely with architects, interior designers, digital designers, and strategists to design and realize projects that seamlessly blend physical environments with branded experience.
- Participate in concept design and strategic project visioning.
- Gain knowledge of the spatial design process by designing in large scale and understanding technical drawings.
- Collaborate with your fellow interns on a student-led project for the local community.
- You are currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree program in Art, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, User Experience or another relevant program. Interior Design and Architecture degrees are strongly encouraged to apply if taken previous graphic design or marketing courses.
- You have completed your third year of an undergraduate program or first year of a graduate program and are returning to your program post-internship. This internship is not for recent graduates.
- Demonstrate a strong grasp of the fundamentals of graphic design – including color theory, typography, composition, and scale.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud Suite (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign).
- UX/UI capabilities are a plus.
- Experience with CAD Tools and designing in architectural scale is a plus.
- Proficiency with MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint).
Your Additional Characteristics
- Demonstrated leadership ability in school and/or community.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task.
- Strong verbal, written, and graphic communication skills.
- Resourceful, self-motivated, enthusiastic team player.
- Outstanding analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills.
How to Apply
Submit an online application including a resume and portfolio in PDF form. If you choose to submit a link to an online portfolio, you must make sure it is not password protected and that it contains a resume, cover letter, and work samples. Submissions made in Microsoft Word and/or without work samples will not be considered.
This posting will remain open until early March 2024.
Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and available positions may be filled before the posting closes.