Student Internship - Communications - Summer 2024
At Gensler, we design for people. We leverage our global perspective and local presence to innovate at every scale. We’re not just designers. We’re tinkerers, craftspeople, visionaries, innovators and thought leaders. Fueled by passion and entrepreneurial spirit, our people bring new ideas to solve challenging problems. Whether you’re into sketching new ideas, hacking a building, or growing client relationships in global markets, there’s something here for everyone.
Our depth of expertise spans disciplines — from workplace and mixed use to education, hospitality, cultural institutions, digital tech, and more. Whether we’re dreaming into a future learning environment, planning a new urban district or designing a super tall building, we strive to make the everyday places people occupy more inspiring, more resilient and more impactful.
To learn more about our internship programs, please visit gensler.com/internships.
As Communications Intern in Gensler's Chicago office, you will join our creative environment for a full-time, paid internship opportunity beginning approximately June 4, 2024 and ending mid-August 2024. We are looking for a student enrolled in a college program focused on communications, journalism, marketing, or PR who loves design.
In order to be considered, please send 2 to 3 writing samples, which can include press releases, news articles (print and/or online), social media posts, and newsletters. We will accept samples from professional jobs and internships or those for classes or other school-related projects.
What You Will Do
- Assist with press opportunities and help with the development of press materials (reporter briefing sheets, pitches, reporter requests, etc.)
- Support project awards efforts and participate in preparing for submissions
- Meet with designers and draft project summaries and thought leadership assets
- Create content for regional Instagram pages
- Assist communications team in tracking media placements, speaking events, Community Impact events, and awards for the “This Week at Gensler” report
- Conduct research into potential editorial opportunities and pitch angles
- Support on project photo shoots and special projects as needed
- You are currently enrolled in a Bachelor's or Master's degree program in Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing, or Communications
- You have completed your third year of an undergraduate program or first year of a graduate program and are returning to your program post-internship. This internship is not for recent graduates.
- Strong command of grammar and great written communication skills
- Experience or interest in content creation and management
- Interest in architecture, interior design, and urban planning
- Deadline-oriented and able to balance multiple projects with high attention to detail and respect the confidentiality of certain information
- Comfortable in a professional, fast-paced, collaborative office environment
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Adobe InDesign or graphic design skills a plus
How to Apply
Submit an online application on Gensler.com/careers, including writing samples and a resume and that outlines your academic and work experience relevant to our industry and this position. If you choose to submit a link to an online portfolio or website, you must make sure it is not password protected.
Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling admissions basis. Applicants will not be considered without 2 to 3 writing samples and resume; PDF format is preferred and encouraged.
This posting will remain open until early March 2024.
Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and available positions may be filled before the posting closes.