Contract Specialist - Securities & Banking
Who we are
M1 helps clients build and protect their wealth, day to day and for the long term. Our self-directed platform allows users to invest, borrow, spend and save in one place, using automation to power each user's unique personal strategy. Hundreds of thousands of clients trust us with over $6 billion in assets. As the Finance Super App™, we empower clients’ financial well-being through automated investing tools, industry-leading APY on high-yield savings accounts, paperwork-free margin loans, low-cost personal loans, and high cash back credit card rewards that can be automatically re-invested into your M1 portfolio.
Our vision is to create a digital private banking experience, making the tools and services of the ultra-wealthy accessible with the click of a button. We've been named a top app for investors including 2023 Best for Low Costs and Best for Sophisticated Investors by Investopedia, 2023 Best Investment App for Porfilio Customization by Insider and one of the best Roth IRAs by Fortune. We have over 60,000 five-star reviews on the Apple App Store and Google Play.
As a fast-growing fintech company, we’re looking for talented and smart individuals who are excited about rethinking what’s possible with personal finance, invested in their personal and professional growth, and eager to take ownership of their work. Our award-winning workplace culture has been recognized by Inc. (Best Workplaces 2022), Built In Chicago (2022 and 2023 Best Places to Work in Chicago), CB Insights (Top Fintech Companies of 2021), and the Chicago Tribune (2021 Top Workplace).
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, read on!
What you’ll do
The M1 Legal team helps the company grow responsibly, advocating for M1 across the multitude of financial products we deliver. We provide strategic advice and guidance across the multifaceted disciplines covering the entire Enterprise, protect M1, advise on risk, and represent the company externally, negotiating with partners and interacting with regulators. We advocate in a highly regulated environment, that demands creativity, foresight, and ingenuity. As a Contract Specialist, you will be an integral member of the Legal team and provide legal and administrative support to our Assistant General Counsel.
- Legal Document Preparation and Review:
- Draft, review, and edit legal documents, contracts, agreements, and other legal correspondence under the supervision of attorneys.
- Ensure accuracy and compliance with legal requirements and corporate policies.
- Contract Management:
- Manage and maintain a contract database, including tracking contract expirations, renewals, and amendments.
- Assist in negotiating and finalizing contracts, ensuring terms and conditions are in line with company policies and legal guidelines.
- Corporate Governance:
- Assist in maintaining and organizing corporate records, including articles of incorporation, bylaws, board resolutions, and meeting minutes.
- Coordinate and support corporate governance matters, such as annual meetings and regulatory filings.
- Legal Research and Analysis:
- Conduct legal research on various topics, statutes, regulations, and case law to support legal opinions and decision-making.
- Summarize research findings and provide recommendations to legal team.
- Litigation Support:
- Assist in preparing legal documents and evidence for litigation, including discovery requests, responses, and pleadings.
- Coordinate with external counsel and internal teams to gather information and materials for litigation cases.
- Compliance and Regulatory Matters:
- Assist in monitoring changes in laws and regulations affecting the corporation and ensuring compliance with legal requirements.
- Prepare compliance reports and documentation as needed.
- Due Diligence and M&A Support:
- Support due diligence efforts for finance and VC funding, mergers and acquisitions, including document review and analysis.
- Assist in preparing due diligence reports and coordinating with internal and external stakeholders.
- Communication and Collaboration:
- Communicate effectively with internal departments and external stakeholders to obtain necessary information and documents.
- Collaborate with attorneys and other paralegals to prioritize and manage workload effectively.
- 6-10 years of corporate paralegal experience
- Contract Specialist experience in the financial industry; broker-dealer or banking preferred.
- Preference given to FINRA Series 24
- Bachelor's degree in paralegal studies, legal studies, or a related field.
- Relevant paralegal certification or accreditation.
- Superb contracting skills required.
- Strong knowledge of legal concepts, procedures, and documentation related to corporate and financial services law.
- Proficiency in legal research tools, contract management software, and MS Office Suite.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and multitasking skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and work with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our DEIB Council and six Employee Resource Groups (AAPI@M1, Black@M1, Mental Health@M1, Pride@M1, SomosM1, and Women@M1), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEIB projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our ten core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven - We know that financial well-being has a dramatic impact on an individual's quality of life. We are passionate about helping people in this domain.
- Extreme Ownership - We are responsible for the results to our clients, teammates, and shareholders. We own everything in our domain that affects these results.
- Boldness - Thinking small is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Thinking big inspire results. We would rather fail at the meaningful than succeed at the trivial.
- Ruthless Prioritization - We want to do more than we possibly can. We must be disciplined on how to use our precious money, people, and time. That means saying no to a lot of good ideas so we can focus on the most important thing.
- Integrity - We do the right thing. This trust must never be broken.
- Effectiveness - We do what's needed to deliver the intended results. Whether that requires disciplined process or scrappy implementation, we find a way.
- Team Oriented - We work collaboratively to achieve more. We respect, trust, and support one another.
- Transparency - We use simple and clear communication to share information so that people have the context to make good decisions.
- Make Forward Progress - Something is better than nothing. We make incremental improvements on our path towards perfection. Crawl, walk, run, and then sprint.
- Resiliency - We understand that any big goal comes with ambiguity, change, and setbacks. We adapt and keep going.
- Competitive Pay and Stock Options
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- Unlimited PTO
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication with leadership
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym
- Access to employee workshops and training about financial literacy, empathy and mental health, professional development, and more
- Free subscription to Insight Timer, the world’s #1 meditation app for sleep, stress, and anxiety