Senior Business Analyst
University of Chicago
The University of Chicago Booth School of Business is the second-oldest business school in the U.S. and second to none when it comes to influencing business education and business practices. Since 1898, the school has produced ideas and leaders that shape the world of business. Their rigorous, discipline-based approach to business education transforms students into confident, effective, respected business leaders prepared to face the toughest challenges.
About the Department
Chicago Booth has the finest set of facilities of any business school in the world. Each of the four campuses (two in Chicago, one in London, and one in Hong Kong) reflects the architectural traditions of its environs while offering a state-of-the-art learning environment.
Chicago Booth is proud to claim:
-an unmatched faculty.
-degree and open enrollment programs offered on three continents.
-a global body of nearly 56,000 accomplished alumni.
-strong and growing corporate relationships that provide a wealth of lifelong career opportunities.
As part of the world-renowned University of Chicago, Chicago Booth shares the University's core values that shape the distinctive intellectual culture. At Booth, they constantly question and test ideas, and seek proof. This extraordinarily effective approach to business leads to new ideas and innovative solutions. Seven of the Booth faculty members have won Nobel Prizes for these ideas - the first business school to achieve this accomplishment.
For more information about the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, please visit: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/.
The primary responsibilities of the Senior Business Analyst are to provide strategic business analysis services to business partners. This position will work closely with the business customers to gain in-depth understanding of customer's business processes. This role will be key to understanding and analyzing customer needs which will drive the implementation of new and enhanced technology. The Senior Business Analyst is also responsible for leading efforts to support the testing lifecycle of new technology, enhancements, identifying and managing the elimination of application defects to verify that systems meet specifications and standard.
- Consults with business customers to gather information about system needs and objectives, functions and features, and input and output requirements.
- Elicits requirements using interviews, requirements workshops, surveys.
- Creates requirements management documents such as business requirements (BRD), scope matrix, use cases, sequence diagrams, future state proposals and business process documents.
- Analyzes, defines, and documents requirements for data mapping, workflow, logical processes and interfaces with other systems.
- Designs screen layouts, graphical user interfaces, reports, and interfaces with other systems.
- Applies business process reengineering techniques to redesign and improve business processes.
- Performs stakeholder management activities to influence customers, meet customer and business needs and manage customer relationships and expectations.
- Supports the implementation of business solutions by building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders.
- Collaborates closely with developers to implement requirements and provide necessary guidance to testers during QA process.
- Creates test plans, test cases and test data.
- Creates data mining / manipulation queries to support test prep and execution.
- Creates comprehensive Test Plan / Test Approach documentation.
- Plans and implements the various stages of test, e.g. Systems Test, Integration Testing, Exploratory Testing, Regression Testing, etc. during the project lifecycle through the creation of test plans, test cases and test scripts.
- Provides support and guidance in test principles, techniques and tools to team members.
- Coordinates and delegates work to test resources during the running of a project.
- Assists with Incident and Problem management activities by diagnosing problems and suggesting viable solutions.
- Identifies, analyzes, and documents defects, errors, and inconsistencies in software.
- Collaborates with customers to plan and implement comprehensive User Acceptance Testing activities including training materials.
- Creates and executes automated test scripts using testing software applications and manual test scripts to support testing, debugging, documenting, and implementing enhancements and break fix solutions.
- Partners with internal and external customers to ensure systems provided meet the long-term business strategies.
- Supports system conversions, upgrades, enhancements and disaster recovery efforts.
- Leads business process analyses, needs assessments, and preliminary cost/benefit analyses. Solves unique and complex problems relating to computer equipment capacity, limitations, and operation time.
- Utilizes expertise and a thorough understanding of business systems and industry requirements to translate business and user needs into system requirement specifications.
- Performs other related work as needed.
Education:Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
- Master’s degree.
- A minimum seven years of recent related business analyst and testing experience.
- Working on Agile software development projects.
- Working on Waterfall software development projects.
- Experience with Defect/Problem Management processes.
Technical Skills or Knowledge:
- Demonstrated experience with automated software testing tools and writing basic SQL queries.
- Knowledge of multiple project management lifecycles/methodologies including, Software Development Life Cycle, Agile and Waterfall.
- Knowledge of Business Analysis Body of Knowledge (BABOK Guide) or PMI's Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) processes and standards.
- Proficiency with testing backend processes such as system/data flows, feeds and APIs.
- Demonstrated ability to gather and manage detailed, accurate requirements through the project lifecycle.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Handle multiple detailed tasks/projects simultaneously and meet strict deadlines.
- Communicate technical ideas and concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Maintain confidentiality and follow IT and other University policies regarding data security and protection.
- Excellent analytical thinking, information gathering, problem solving, and persuasion skills.
- Influence and manage stakeholder expectations.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and diplomatically with colleagues, as well as with students, faculty, and corporate contacts in a multitude of communication methods i.e., in person, email, phone.
- Professional demeanor, including tact, discretion, and a customer service-oriented approach.
- This position is currently expected to work a minimum three days per week in the office.
- Resume/CV (required)
- Cover Letter (required)
When applying, the document(s) MUST be uploaded via the My Experience page, in the section titled Application Documents of the application.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Drug Test Required
Health Screen Required
Motor Vehicle Record Inquiry Required
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
We seek a diverse pool of applicants who wish to join an academic community that places the highest value on rigorous inquiry and encourages a diversity of perspectives, experiences, groups of individuals, and ideas to inform and stimulate intellectual challenge, engagement, and exchange.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes a review of conviction history. A conviction does not automatically preclude University employment. Rather, the University considers conviction information on a case-by-case basis and assesses the nature of the offense, the circumstances surrounding it, the proximity in time of the conviction, and its relevance to the position.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.