Director, Endowment and Gift Accounting
University of Chicago
Finance and Administration represents a committed group of people who serve the University in a variety of areas including financial services, information technology services, risk management, internal audit, compliance, human resources, and shared services.
About the Department
The goal of our division is to provide the services and support needed to foster an environment of academic and research excellence at the University of Chicago. Our team is dedicated to collaborative partnerships with our colleagues and customers that lay the foundation for an exemplary service delivery process. Finance and Administration is fully aligned with the strategic and academic priorities of the University, and each of the units within our division is tasked with implementing the processes necessary to achieve lasting excellence.
The Director of Endowment and Gift Accounting leads and oversees the close to $10 billion endowment of the University of Chicago. The Director shows a strong commitment to succession planning and business continuity planning through training of direct reports. The Director acts as the top expert in all aspects of endowment and gift accounting at the University and shares expert knowledge with all units and departments with endowments and gifts. Internal and external stakeholders rely on the incumbent’s deep knowledge and ability to translate accounting aspects of the work to actionable recommendations.
- Manages all aspects of the University’s $9.8 billion consolidated endowment accounting which includes creation and maintenance of approximately 4,200 individual endowment accounts; tracking pooled investment in Total Return Investment Pool (TRIP); and distribution and allocation of endowment payout, earnings, realized and unrealized gain distribution, including around twenty endowments invested outside of TRIP.
- Provides quarterly and ad hoc reporting to other areas within Finance and Administration and to the various units.
- During fiscal year end, prepares investment workpapers to generate investment and endowment footnotes.
- Supports Fundriver, a web-based endowment management software program. The Fundriver Department Module allows departments/units across the University to access information on their endowment funds.
- Supports ARD Donor Relations by providing annual donor reports for specified endowments upon request.
- Tracks TRIP investment held by the Malpractice Self-Insurance trust and Phoenix Trusts, and several separate affiliates (Chapin Hall, Chicago Theological Seminary, Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago).
- Oversees accounting for approximately 2,800 individual restricted gift accounts and 2,400 associate accounts.
- Oversees reconciliation of the Gift Clearance unapplied cash account to ensure timely flow of gift receipts.
- Oversees tracking of $111 million Charitable Gift Annuity and 90 Charitable Remainder Trust portfolio administered by TIAA Kaspick.
- Ensures proper distribution of residual funds from terminated annuity and life income funds.
- Prepares monthly FAS accounting from download of investment transactions in the various custody accounts administered by Northern Trust.
- Prepares annual workpapers for the University’s $2.1 billion pledge receivable portfolio, in order to recognize current year pledge activity for year-end financial reporting.
- Reviews individual pledge documents to ensure GAAP compliance.
- Advises on accounting transactions, collecting and analyzing accounting data, analyzing business results, and/or developing management reports.
- Reviews and approves accounting and financial records and reports, including general ledger, financial statements, regulatory and management reports.
- Performs other related work as needed.
Education:Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
- Extensive higher education experience.
Technical Skills or Knowledge:
- Proficiency with spreadsheet and word processing software.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Business Objects advanced knowledge.
- Resume/CV (required)
When applying, the document(s) MUST be uploaded via the My Experience page, in the section titled Application Documents of the application.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Drug Test Required
Health Screen Required
Motor Vehicle Record Inquiry Required
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
We seek a diverse pool of applicants who wish to join an academic community that places the highest value on rigorous inquiry and encourages a diversity of perspectives, experiences, groups of individuals, and ideas to inform and stimulate intellectual challenge, engagement, and exchange.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes a review of conviction history. A conviction does not automatically preclude University employment. Rather, the University considers conviction information on a case-by-case basis and assesses the nature of the offense, the circumstances surrounding it, the proximity in time of the conviction, and its relevance to the position.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.