Senior Platform Engineer
Who we are: Founded in 2001, Vivid Seats (NASDAQ: SEAT) is a leading online ticket marketplace committed to becoming the ultimate partner for connecting fans to the live events, artists, and teams they love. We believe in the power of experiences and are fiercely dedicated to building products that inspire human connections. Named as one of Built In's top places to work in 2023, we believe that our People are our greatest competitive advantage. To support our People, we have built a company culture that empowers our employees to embrace challenges, encourages unity through collaboration, and seeks to constantly evolve by leveraging data and inspiring innovation.
As a Senior Platform Engineer, you will own the reliability, efficiency, and speed of our delivery pipeline; and help drive ongoing reliability, scalability, and security of our core cloud-based infrastructure platforms (primarily AWS). Your top priority will be ensuring our product teams can deliver software to production as quickly and safely as possible while building and maintaining a stable platform. You will be challenged to deliver in a unique ecosystem with highly burstable traffic patterns.
How your role contributes to the success of Vivid Seats:
- As part of the platform engineering team, you will work closely with fellow cloud engineers, software engineers, security engineers, and product owners to understand their needs and optimize their productivity.
- Collaborate and show desire to support our engineering teams and bring a customer service-focused mindset to our platform engineering practice.
- Utilize tools and processes that help our teams iterate more quickly without sacrificing precision or reliability.
- Plan/design/lead efforts related to automation and tooling, scaling and overall site reliability to enable autonomy and ensure safety. Confident presenting plans and designs to wider architectural community and defending recommended approach.
- Drive ongoing performance enhancement across all areas of our cloud platform; networking, observability, CI/CD, access, security, cost.
- Mentor and collaborate with engineers to deepen our expertise in the DevOps/SRE domain.
How your role expectations will progress as a DevOps Engineer in the first 30, 90, and 180 days:
30 days in
- Complete new hire orientation, gaining the resources you need to be successful.
- Learn how ticket marketplaces operate and how you’ll contribute to providing great experiences for our customers.
- Acclimate to team and company norms, business objectives, and Vivid Seats values.
- Develop basic understanding of applications, tech stack, and development process.
- Be comfortable completing basic tasks in various areas of the entire platform domain
90 days in
- Start identifying areas of improvement in our approaches, methods, or technologies to mitigate risks and improve efficiency.
- Build, maintain, and leverage internal and external relationships to achieve progress and advance objectives.
- Make meaningful contributions to team planning, estimations and software design sessions.
- Be a core contributor to ongoing platform projects.
- Be able to support our engineering stakeholders with more advanced requests.
180 days in
- Design and implement process improvements that positively impact the team.
- Mentor others, playing an active role in elevating the skill sets of those you work with.
- Guide the team's work so that it fits into the larger team and engineering group objectives.
- Produce and deliver clean, correct code that drives team and company tech goals forward.
- Improve efficiency in core systems and applications managed by the team and contribute to engineering group objectives.
What you will bring:
- Extensive experience administering Kubernetes clusters (preferably AWS EKS).
- Extensive experience working with Kubernetes workloads and core Kubernetes resources.
- Extensive experience with configuration-as-code tools such as Terraform, Pulumi or Ansible.
- Extensive experience with CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, GitLab CI/CD, and/or GitHub Actions.
- Familiarity with Amazon ECS.
- Deep understanding of service mesh/Istio implementations.
- Deep understanding of observability tools such as Datadog and ELK
- Experience with at least one mainstream programming language such as Python, Java or Go.
- General understanding of cloud networking.
- Strong sense of ownership for own work and the team’s work.
- A passion for automation, optimization, and productivity.
- Ability to lead colleagues and peers to resolution of issues.
Vivid Seats provides competitive compensation; bonus incentives and equity for all employees; FLEX PTO; mental health days; medical, dental, and vision insurance; 401K matching; monthly credits and discounts for attending live events; remote work and snack allowances; and a variety of additional workplace perks.
Location: Chicago, IL
We believe in a hybrid working model which provides employees the flexibility to take advantage of in-person and remote collaboration. Check out our brand new HQ office, bursting with the energy of live events fandom and the vibrancy of Chicago’s rising tech scene.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values the critical importance of a diverse workforce and sense of belonging. Many of our roles have flexible requirements and we encourage you to apply regardless of whether you meet every qualification.